Saturday, November 5, 2011

A Fantasy Football Perspective


Let’s Get Real About Fantasy Football

by Brent Czapp, Contributor

I started playing fantasy football 5 or 6 years ago.  It was the “Larry Johnson, Tomlinson, Shaun Alexander” time period.   Seems like a lifetime ago.  Now it’s hard to even imagine the game of football without fantasy points at stake.  There have been some real prime-time snoozers from a competitive standpoint this year (yes, I endured the Indy-Tampa clash), and without there being fantasy repercussions on the line, I’m sure I would have found something else equally unproductive to do with my time. 

I’m not proud of it, but I will openly root against my favorite teams and players if it means a better fantasy day for me. I have Drew Brees in a keeper league, call me a Saints fan. I drafted practically every New York Football Giant play-maker. “Hi I’m Brent, I’m a Giants fan”.  It feels dirty, but I don’t care. My fantasy team is now my favorite team. 

The other day I was talking to my dad about fantasy football and how great the NFL Redzone channel was for keeping track of players’ results. A mild scoff followed. Disdainful, he described how empty it is to watch football this way, and I get it.  Those skirmishes in the trenches, 12 play drives, 3 & 9 conversions, THIS is what football was about, and I respect that.  Having being a former offensive lineman of questionable acclaim, I can empathize with the dogfights in the middle that are allowing the rest of the offense to produce.
 
In this aspect, I do feel shame for selling out the game I once loved – football.  I’m not proposing drafting offensive linemen (especially because Shawn Andrews would have burned me for years!) but implementing certain statistics and ideals should be a must in all fantasy leagues. 

On one hand, there are completion percentages.  Can I get a couple points for going 31-35? On the other, high penalties for turnovers.  This mindset came to life when I believe Jay Cutler threw 4 picks and cost his team the game with bone-headed decisions and careless ball control.  I was furious when I saw the owner of Cutler be rewarded with 20 some points due to sheer volume of yards gained in order to compensate for all of those interceptions.  It comes down to this: if you’re QB throws 3 or more picks in one game, he sucks and his points should reflect that.  Yes its drastic but it’s also fair. 

The topic has become relevant again with dismal performances of one Tim Tebow.  Never mind fundamentals, accuracy, the ability to read a defense, or handle the ball responsibly, this guy can break a 45 yard run and maybe make it in the end zone and your day’s set. I believe ESPN’s Matthew Berry said “You don’t have to watch him play, but he will get you the points”.  

As my plea is sure to fall on deaf ears, I will still continue to enjoy the game of football, and our game of fantasy football, the whole time sitting humbly, hoping, and tebowing that one day I may enjoy both simultaneously.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment